Sunday, January 27, 2013

Some catch-up

Well, it's been about 3 months since my last post...which is pathetic, because plenty has happened since then! I finished up the final pre-med class (THANK GOD), and just by the skin of my teeth. Frankly, I was happy just to pass Organic Chemistry 2 and be done with it. On the other hand, my OChem lab was awesome, ended with an A, and was probably one of my most enjoyed classes throughout all my schooling! I ordered an online Kaplan MCAT course right after Christmas and just started it. I've scheduled the MCAT for April 4th, so the countdown is on! I should know my results by the beginning of May, just in time to start my applications in June! So far, we know that I'll apply to the WWAMI program (1st year here in Anchorage, 2nd in Seattle at UW, and 3rd/4th are rotations), USU in Bethesda, MD (the military's med school), and that's about it. I've looked at all the stats for the OTHER TWO HUNDRED med schools, and have narrowed the list down to about 30 or so, excluding any that have low out-of-state acceptance rates, too high GPA or MCAT averages (seriously, when their LOW is a 3.7 GPA, it's a little intimidating!), anything over about 55K per year, and places that are WAAAAAAY too expensive to live (Hello, New York City....we couldn't afford a postage stamp. And with 4 kids, 700 square feet just doesn't cut it!). But, we still have a lot of contenders, and we're hopeful that a decent MCAT score will keep our options open!

On another note, since we hadn't had any real pictures taken since Kylee turned one, my dad graciously froze his tush and snapped a few great family pictures below in November. It was COOOOOLLLLLD, and it was probably the fastest family photo shoot we've ever done!








Kylee turned TWO on November 21st, and we had a little family celebration. I had won a $50 gift certificate to Cakes in Love, a local cake shop, and decided that I'd just have them make Ky's cake this year. While it was nice not spending an entire day (or 2) making a cake, everyone agreed that: 
1) It was WAY too expensive for what it was (who actually pays $110 for the cake below?! I had a hard enough time forking over $60...never again). 
2) It tasted like CRAP! I'm talking to the point of not really wanting to hardly eat it! Not to toot my own horn or anything, but my cakes are much, much tastier! 

Nevertheless, the cake did look pretty cute. Kylee got plenty of gifts, many of which were things to wear-either dress up stuff, hats, hair accessories, jewelry, or clothing! She couldn't have been happier!




Dakota even learned to play "Happy Birthday" on the guitar for Kylee's birthday! He's such a great big bro!

She really is the cutest little light of the house. She's mostly very sweet, but does have a sassy little attitude, and will let you know when she doesn't like something. 

The beginning of December brought on all the fun Christmas festivities, including the traditional gingerbread decorating afternoon! It really is one of the best Oberg traditions, and I remember always getting to decorate a house every year. It was something that I looked forward to most during the holidays. I think it might just be more fun as an adult and watching the kids have fun plastering on candy! As usual, the youngest (this year Kylee) ended up with more candy in her belly than on a house!



We had a pretty low-key Christmas, especially since my bro, Scott, Heather, and the boys weren't up here with us this year! My parents and Dan came over in the morning and got to watch the kiddos open their presents. It was pretty chill, watching some TV, socializing, and making homemade pizzas for dinner. After dinner, we took the kids sledding at Service High School. They got a new, big sledding tube, as well as small single-rider saucer type sleds from Santa, and just HAD to try them out! 



Kylee got a ridiculously expensive imported baby doll for Christmas, and thankfully, she's in love with her. This child carries her baby with her EVERYWHERE, and loves to wrap her in blankies, pretend to feed her from a sippy, and strap her into her doll's carseat! 

The little goober being a goober. 

Kylee LOVED sledding!

The boys in their new cool hats, ready for some action!




I'm finding that this post is getting pretty darned lengthy and the kids are downstairs screaming about god knows what...so I will try to make an attempt later at documenting our trip to up Fairbanks/Chena Hot Springs later!


No comments: