Thursday, March 11, 2010

My domesticated side!

For Christmas, I got my very first sewing machine! I think I've really only sewed a few things in my entire life, including a rudimentary backpack at my Aunt Carol's house somewhere around age 8 or so, a hideous skirt made in 8th grade Home-Economics, probably hundreds of fleece socks with my mom, a couple simple blankets, and just last fall/winter for the boys (Koda, my twin nephews Tristan and Curran, and my nephew Cole), matching "quilt"-like blankets. Those last ones were probably the "hardest" sewing I've done, and it was also with the help of my mom. In reality, what ended up happening, was that I did all the cutting, all the pinning, and all the organizing, and SHE sewed. BUT....it really got me into the sewing bug. So, that's what I told George I really wanted for Christmas! Nothing fancy, just a very simple sewing machine. So what did he get me, you ask? He took the "simple" think literally, and my machine is a "Singer Simple"! In reality, while it is a fairly simple sewing machine, it pretty much has anything I'll ever want to do, so I was happy as ever! Personally, I don't ever see myself using all 14 different types of stitching, 5 length settings, etc, but you never know! My guess is that I'll never get to the point where I'll need a fancier machiene! So, I've been a busy bee since about 3 weeks ago when I finally got around to setting the machine all up and figuring out something to create with it! I've made a purse for my sister-in-law, Heather, for her birthday, an *almost* finished purse for my friend Beth for her birthday (which was yesterday!), a baby blanket, spitty cloth, bib, and an "embellished" onesie to match the cloth and bib for my soon to be new neice or nephew! I'm not so sure I'll be so eager to continue sewing this much in the next week or so, as Dakota gets back from Kodiak tomorrow morning, and school (for him and I) start back up on Monday, so my time will again be a bit limited. But, I have been enjoying my sewing adventures thus far! Here's a few pictures of my creations:
This was Heather's purse, and because of my lack of planning skills, we had to take this picture on the way to the birthday dinner in the car. I couldn't pass up recording my very first creation on my new sewing machine!

My new baby niece or nephew's stuff....minus the bib since I haven't finished it yet!

Beth's purse.....except it's missing 4 buttons and attaching the straps!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Omg!!! I loooove the purses! And the spitup rag!! Is it pretty simple to do? I've recently had the urge to pick up the hobby but thought it looked a little challenging for me :)